Computer Engineering started as one of the stress areas in Electrical / Electronic Engineering department. Faculty of Engineering and Technology was transferred to Akpugo Campus, Enugu State of Nigeria on 27th day of April 2011. The expectations are that this transfer will offer better accommodation and improve on the rate of development of faculty of Engineering. Computer Engineering Department was formerly created to function alone in 2011.The creation of Computer Engineering Department has multiplied interest in engineering research. The department has been given full approval to function by NUC (National University Commission)
Today, the department is well established and has state – of – the – art equipment in the laboratories and workshops.
The computer Engineering Department exists to train students to build and use computers, and encourage staff and students to carry out research that will lead to inventions, new products and services that will create wealth, and eventually lead to national development.
The department was established on a plan of extra-ordinary clarity and firmness. A plan that contemplates a department of limited but well defined objectives, a full time 5years programme leading to the award of the degree of bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) which reflects strongly the philosophical view of the information Technology Revolution
The department is set apart by its own style, by its approach to teaching and learning and by its avowed objectives which include:
1. To impart students with the knowledge and skills, required by computer engineers in industry, academia and public service.
2. To equip the Nigeria nation and the world at large with effective professionals in the critical growth area of computer engineering.
3. To stimulate the interest of students in research through contact with teachers and mentors active in research, and through exposure to the most current information technologies.
4. To encourage students to consider graduate education and make them aware of the need for lifelong learning.
5. To seek broad collaboration on projects and courses with other disciplines and academic departments to familiarize students with an interdisciplinary setting like that in which many of them will work.
6. To promote professional and institutional pride by providing strong support for student programs associated with the most respected professional societies.
Computer Engineering program is designed to train students in the design and evaluation of computer systems, both hardware and software. It also involves developing computer networks for the transmission of information.
Our program focuses on problems and challenges which result in state – of – the – art solution that integrate computer capabilities.
UTME (UNIFIED TERTIARY MATRICULATION EXAMINATION)
The minimum admission requirement for Engineering and Technology disciplines should be passes at level in the Senior Secondary School final year examination or GCE ‘O’ Level in five subjects including Mathematics, English Language, Physics and Chemistry. Candidates are also required to have acceptable pass in UTME. The UTME subjects shall be Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and use of English. It is also desirable for candidates to have Further Mathematics and Technical Drawing at levels. Such candidates shall have added advantage.
Admission Direct Entry
For Direct Entry, candidates must have passes in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at GCE ‘A’ level or equivalent. Holders of OND and HND at minimum of upper level are eligible for consideration for admission into 200 and 300 levels respectively.
INTER-UNIVERSITY (INTER-DEPARTMENTAL TRANSFERS
(i) Any student of this Faculty can seek transfer into another Faculty, department or programme after at least one academic year in the Faculty provided the student satisfies the admission requirements of the new Faculty/Department.
(ii) No transfer shall, however, be allowed into the first of final year of any programme.
(iii) For all transfers, a candidate shall;
– Have obtained a CGPA of not less than 1.00
– All students for transfer are expected to apply to the registrar on the prescribed form enclosing photocopies of qualifying certificate(s), and certified statements of results for all semesters spent so far.
– Meet the admission requirements applicable to the year of study of the programme into which he or she seeks transfer.
– Satisfy the Faculty/Departmental transfer requirements.
– Earn waivers for only those relevant courses passed in his former department.
– Collect from the admission office a transfer letter stating the new programme, the approved year of study, and courses from which waivers had been granted.
– All completed transfer forms shall be processed by the Faculty and departmental boards involved in the transfer, to determine appropriate programme of study, waivers and years of study.
– All cases of transfer shall be presented to the senate for consideration and approval.
– All transfer shall be completed before the registration week of each academic session.
– On registration, the candidate shall be issued a new registration number by the registrar.
Graduates of computer Engineering are in high demand in the job market. They find employment in the computer, communication, instrumentation, and semiconductor industries in such areas as computer hardware, software, information processing, networking, telecommunication, and product design, in addition to traditional areas of engineering and computer science, such as electronics, aerospace, defence, business information systems, instrumentation and biomedical engineering.
The stress areas in computer Engineering include the following: hardware and software Engineering, microprocessor systems, computer architecture and system Programming
Akpugo, Enugu State Nigeria