Professor Boniface Adeleh Okorie hails from Umuoma Okpofe in Ezinihitte L.G.A. of Imo State, Nigeria, and was born on 6th January, 1944. He received the B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Ahmadu Bello University (1966), and the M.Sc. and Ph.D degrees in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, in 1977 and 1980, respectively. While he was in the USA, he was honoured several times for his excellence in research and scholarship. He was admitted to the prestigious American National Engineering Honour Society, Tau Beta Pi (Epsilon of Massachusetts) and was a recipient of the Campbell award for scientific research from Columbia University, New York in 1977.
Professor B.A. Okorie has had an excellent professional career in industry as well as in academics. His teaching career took him through two universities in the United States of America, and six in Nigeria, including the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), AE-FUNAI, and Madonna University. Currently he works for Madonna University as Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the Akpugo Campus in Enugu State. He attained the rank of full professor in 1987, making him one of the earliest professors in Nigeria in the field of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering. He has over one hundred (100) papers published in national and international journals.
Professor Okorie belongs to over ten scientific and engineering societies in Nigeria and the USA and is a former National President of the Nigerian Metallurgical Society (NMS). He served at different times, as a consultant to the Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), and the African Development Bank (ADB), Tunis.
He is a Christian (Catholic) and is married with two sons and two daughters.
(a) Thesis and Dissertations:
- “Factory Methods Study; The Nigerian Metal Fabrication Company, Kano, Nigeria”, by B. A. Okorie, Sc. Thesis, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria (1966)
- “Growth of Single Crystal Germanium Ribbons” by B. A. Okorie Sc. Thesis, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, U.S.A. (1977).
- “Amorphous and Microcrystalline Thin Films of Iron-Base Alloys for Corrosion-resistant Coatings” by B. A. Okorie, D. Dissertation, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, U.S.A. (1980).
(b) Journal Articles/Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
- Nowak, W.B. and Okorie, B. A. (1979) “Electrochemical (Corrosion) Behaviour of Ion-Plated Fe-Cr Films”. IPAT – 97. International Conference on Ion Plating and Allied Techniques, London (1979); C.E.P. Consultants Ltd., Edinburgh pp. 153–160.
- Nowak, W.B. and Okorie, B. A. (1979): Transient Electrochemical (Corrosion) Behaviour of Ion-plated Fe-Cr Films. Extended Abstracts Publications 79-2. The Electrochemical Society, Princeton, New Jersey, pp. 662-663.
- Nowak, W.B. and Okorie, B.A. (1982): Electrochemical (Corrosion) Behaviour of Amorphous/Microcrystalline Ion-plated Fe-Cr Alloys Films. Corrosion 38, pp. 314-318.
- Okorie, B. A and Nowak, W.B. (1983): Kinetics of Formation of Passive Oxide Films on Corrosion-resistant Iron-Chromium Alloy thin films. Electrochem. Soc. 130, pp. 290 – 296.
- Okorie, B.A. (1985): Some Characteristics of Germanium-stabilized Amorphous stainless steel thin films. International Journal of Science and Engineering (IJSE). Accepted for publication (1985).
- Okorie, B. A. (1985): Effect of Source-to-substrate distance on Morphology and Corrosion of Ion-plated Stainless Steel Films. Thin Solid Films 130, 237 – 243.
- Okorie, B. A. (1984): Chemical and Electrochemical Properties of Non-crystalline Iron-base Alloys. Selected Proceedings of the Nigerian Metallurgical Society. 2. Ovwian-Aladja (1984), pp.18-24
- Okorie, B. A. (1984): Growth of Ribbon and Dendritic Web Single Crystals for Less Expensive Solar Cells. Nigerian Journal of Solar Energy 3, 11-17.
- Okorie, B. A. (1985): Solar Energy Conversion for Refrigeration and Air-conditioning in Tropical Countries. AUP. Workshop on the Physics and Tech. of Solar Energy Conversion, African Union of Physics; Univ. of Ibadan, (1985), pp. 189 – 199.
- Okorie B. A. (1988): The Structure of Some Vapour-quenched Metallic Alloys. Nigerian Journal of Physics. Vol. 1 (1988) pp. 93 – 100.
- Okorie, B. A. (1987): The Structure and Corrosion Resistance of Ion plated Iron Alloy Thin Films. Accepted June 1987 for Presentation at ICTF-7, New Delhi, India and for subsequent publication in Thin Solid Films.
- Eligwe C. A., Okorie B. A., Chukwudorue C., and Orumwense F.F.O., (1988): The Adsorption of Causaticized Cassava Starch on Coal-washery Effluent Solids in Relation to Flocculation. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology. 42 (1988) pp. 135 – 146.
- Okorie B. A., Orumwense F.F.O., Eligwe C. A., and Nwonye T. I. (1988): Effect of Certain Additives on the Properties of some foundry sands. Refractories Journal. Vol. LXIII, pp 6-10.
- Kamma C.M., and Okorie B. A., (1988): Effect of Prior Recovery on The Recrystallization of Carbon Steel. Nigerian Journal of Technology. Vol. 12, No. 1, Sept. 1988, pp 1 – 7.
- Obikwelu D.O.N., and Okorie B.A., (1988): Formulation of Coal-Base Insulating compound for Application in the Metallurgical Industry. Selected Proceedings of the Nigerian Metallurgical Society. 6 Enugu, (1988), pp. 123 – 139.
- Okorie B. A., Okeakpu E. O., and Obiora E. N. (1988): Studies on Copper/Graphite-base Powders and Sintered Compacts for Industrial Applications. Selected Proceedings of the Nigerian Metallurgical Society. 6 Enugu (1988). Vol. II, pp. 247-269.
- Okorie B. A. (1988): Materials Development for Application in Device Manufacture. Proceedings of the NMS, 7, pp. 96 – 107.
- Okeke S. I., Okorie B. A. And Ajaefobi J. O., (1989): Extraction of Lead from Enyimba-Abakaliki Galena Deposit. Proceedings of the NMS, 7, pp. 66-74.
- Orumwense F.F.O., Okorie B. A., and Eligwe C.A (1990): Adsorption Studies of Modified Cassava Starch on Coal-Washery Effluent Particles in Relation to Flocculation. Scandinavian Journal of Metallurgy. 19 (1990), pp. 153-158.
- Ogu E. C. and Okorie B. A., (1988): “Influence of Delta Ferrite on The Flow Stress-Grain Size Relationship of An Austenitic Stainless Steel”. Nigerian Journal of Technology. Vol. 12, No. 1, Sept. 1988; pp. 27 – 30.
- E. C. and Okorie B. A. (1990): “New Concepts of a Modified Hall-Petch Type Relationship”. Nigerian Journal of Technology. Vol. 14, No. 1, Sept. 1990, pp. 11-16.
- Okorie B. A. (1990) “Solar energy for Pumping of Sub-Surface Water” Water Resources, 2, No. 1, pp. 65 – 69.
- Okorie B. A, and Okeke S. I. (1991): “An Assessment of the Raw Materials Resource Base for the Nigerian Iron and Steel Industry”, Proceedings of the International Congress on Iron and Steel Technology in Developing Countries (ISDEC ’91), University of the West Indices, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, Feb, 3 – 7. 1991; pp. 59 – 64.
- Okeke S. I and Okorie B. A., (1991): Determination of Optimum Operating Conditions and use of a Blend of Nigerian and Imported Coals for Sintering of Itakpe Iron Ore Concentrates”. Ibid (ISTDEC ’91), Feb. 3 – 7, 1991; pp 269-277.
- Okorie B. A. and Adibe D. C., (1993): “Prospects for Design and Manufacture of Automotive Engine crankshafts and Connecting Rods in Nigeria”, Proceedings of the First Africa-USA International Conference on Manufacturing Technology, Lagos, Nigeria, Jan. 11-14, 1993; (ref. p. 360; 20 pp).
- Okorie B. A. and Mgbo I. E., (1994): “An Appraisal of the Nigerian Iron and Steel Industry”, Proceedings of the Nigerian Metallurgical Society, 12 (1994) pp. 91-99.
- Asuquo L. O., and Okorie B.A., (1995): “The Role of the Aluminum Industry in Diversifying the Nigerian Economy”, Proceedings of the Nigerian Metallurgical Soceity, 13 (1995), pp. 44-50.
- Ejiofor, J. U., Okorie B. A., and Reddy R. G., (1997), “Powder Processing and Properties of Zircon – Reinforced AI-13.5 Si-2.5 Mg Alloy Composites,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Volume 6 (3), June 1997: pp. 326- 334.
- Ejiofor J. U., Reddy R. G., and Okorie B. A. (1998): “Synthesis and Properties analysis of Char-reinforced AI-13.5Si-2.5Mg Alloy Composites”, Journal of Materials Science, 33 (1998); pp. 1003 – 1013.
- Asuquo L. O., Okorie B. A., and Eligwe C. A., (2000): Effect of Firing Temperature on the Structure and Properties of Nizna-Slana Iron Ore Pellets – Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering (JMME). 1, No. 1, Sept. 2000. pp. 36 – 44.
- Neife S. I., Ameh E. M., and Okorie B. A. (2000): Studies on Reversion Phenomenon in Iron”, Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, 1, No. 1, Sept. 2000; pp. 23 – 27.
- S Nnamchi, J.U. Odo, J. Zhuo and B.A. Okorie (2009): Process Optimization and Characterization of Casting Conditions of Melt-Spun Al-Fe-Si-V RIbbons for Elevated Temperature Aerospace Applications. Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Volume 4, No. 2, Sept. 2009; pp. 10-18.
- S. Nnamchi, C.S. Obayi, B.A. Okorie and C.O. Nebo (2010): Effect of Extrusion and Annealing Conditions on the Elevated Temperature Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of a Melt-spun Al-8.43 Fe-1.08-1.35V Aluminium Alloy. Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Vol 5, No.1, April 2010; pp.43-47.
- S. Nnamchi, J.U. Odo and B.A. Okorie (2010): Material Response and Structural Development during the Hot Extrusion of Melt-spun Al.8.43Fe-1.08Si-1.35V Alloy for Elevated Temperature Applications. Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Vol.5, No.2, Sept. 2010; pp. 35-42.
- O Offor, C.C. Daniel and B.A Okorie (2011): The Effects of inter-critical heat treatments on the mechanical properties of 0.14wt.%C -0.56wt%Mn-0.13wt.%Si structural steel, Nig. J. of Tech (NIJOTECH), Vol. 30, No. 3, Oct. 2011, pp. 29-34.
- C Chukwudi and B.A Okorie (2011): The Physical Properties of Ceramic Tiles Processed from Metallurgical Waste. Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Vol 6 No.1, September 2011, pp. 27-33.
- Stanley U. Ofoegbu, Pearl U. Ofoegbu, Simeon I. Neife, and Boniface A. Okorie (2011): Corrosion Behaviour of Steels in Nigerian Food Processing Environments. J. Appl, Sci, Environ, Manage (JASEM), Vol 15 (1), March 2011 pp.135-139.
- I Amalu, B.A. Okorie, C.W Onyia and P.O Offor (2012): Microstructure and Mechanical Response of Dual-Phase Low Carbon Steel. Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Vol 7 No.1, April 2012, pp.18-24.
- W Onyia, B.A. Okorie and C.N. Mbah. (2012): Microstructure and Mechanical Properties Development in Eutectic Al-Si Alloy Sand Castings after Sodium Additions. Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Vol 7 No.1, April 2012, pp. 41-45.
- Benneth C. Chukwudi, Patrick O. Ademusuru and Boniface A. Okorie (2012): Characterization of Sintered Ceramic Tiles Produced from Steel Slag. Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, Vol 11, (2012) pp.863-868.
- U. Odo, J.N Ogbodo, B.A. Okorie and C.I. Nwoye (2012): Effect of Silicon Addition on the Corrosion Behaviour of Gray Cast Iron. Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Vol 7 No. 2, September 2012, pp. 50-56
- Chikezie W. Onyia, Boniface A. Okorie, Simeon I. Neife, and Camillus S. Obayi (2013): Structural Modification of Sand Cast Eutectic Al-Si Alloys with Sulfur/ Sodium and Its Effect on Mechanical Properties. World Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol 1, 2013, pp. 9-16
- E. Ede, B.A Okorie, and A.O. Agbo (2013): “Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) of Low Carbon Steel in Selected Environments”, JMME. Vol. 8 (September, 2013), pp. 26-31.
- W. Onyia, B.A. Okorie, N.I. Amalu and S.I. Neife (2014): Effects of Sulphur Addition on Microstructural Modification and Mechanical Properties of Sand Cast Al-12wt% Si Alloy. Nigerian Journal of Technology (NIJOTECH), Vol. 33 No.1, January 2014, pp. 43-48
- N. Mbah, B.A. Okorie, G.A. Amaebi and L.J. Onyeji (2014): “Corrosion Behaviour of Dual Phase Steel produced by Cold Work and Intercritical Heat Treatment in simulated Brine Environment”, International Research Journal in Engineering, Science and Technology, vol.11, No. 1, 2014, pp. 60-65.
- O. Offor, B.A. Okorie, F.I. Ezema, V.S. Aigbodion, C.C. Daniel-Mkpume, and A.D. Omah (2015): “Synthesis and Characterization of Nanocrystalline Zinc Sulphide Thin Films by Chemical Spray Pyrolysis”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds (Elsevier), 650 (2015), pp. 381-385.
- O. Offor, B.A. Okorie, B.A. Ezekoye, V.A. Ezekoye and J.I. Ezema (2015); “Chemical Spray Pyrolysis Synthesis of Zinc Sulphide (ZnS) Thin Films via Double Source Precursors”, Journal of Ovonic Research, vol. 11, No. 2, March-April 2015, pp. 73-77.
- Camillus Sunday Obayi, Ranna Tolouei, Carlo Paternoster, Stephane Turgeon, Boniface Adeleh Okorie, Daniel Oray Obikwelu, Glenn Cassar, Joseph Buhagiar, Diego Mantovani. (2015): “Influence of cross-rolling on the micro-texture and biodegradation of pure iron as biodegradable material for medical implants”, Acta Biomaterialia 17(2015) 68-77. http://dx.dio.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2015.01.024.
- Camillus Sunday Obayi, Ranna Tolouei, Afghany Mostavan, Carlo Paternoster, Stephane Turgeon, Boniface Adeleh Okorie, Daniel Oray Obikwelu, & Diego Mantovani. (2014): “Effect of Grain Sizes on Mechanical Properties and Biodegradation Behavior of Pure Iron for Cardiovascular Stent Application”. Biomatter, (2014). http://dx.dio.org/10.4161/21592527.2014.959874 [Epub ahead of print]
- D. Omah, B.A. Okorie, E.C. Omah, I.C. Ezema, V.S. Aigbodion & P.O. Offor. (2016): ‘‘Measurement of Dielectric Properties of Polymer Matrix Composites Developed from Cow Bone Powder’’, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. DOI.10.1007/s00170-016-8759-1 (Springer) April 2016.
- Akpan, W.A. Odukwe, A.O. and Okorie B.A. (2017): ‘‘Condition Based Maintenance In Nigerian Electric Power Industry’’, International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research, 6, Issue 09 September 2017.
- Akpan, W.A. Odukwe, A.O. and Okorie B.A. (2017): ‘Prediction and Scheduling of Maintenance by Condition Monitoring’’, American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER). Vol. 6, Issue 8, pp 65-69; 2017.
- Akpan, W.A. Odukwe, A.O. and Okorie B.A. (2017): Mathematical Modeling of Maintenance Scheduling Based on Condition Monitoring’’ American Journal of Engineering Research. 6 Issue 8, 2017.
- O. Offor, G.M. Whyte, F.U. Otung, P.S. Nnamchi, S.N. Ude, A.D. Omah, C.C. Daniel-Mkpume, S.I. Neife, V.S. Aigbodion, S. Madu, B.A. Okorie, M. Maaza, Fabian I. Ezema (2019): The Characteristics and Wettability Response of Spray-Synthesized ZnS Films Complexes with Glycine. Surfaces and Interfaces (ELSEVIER). 16, 157 – 163.
- O. Offor, G.M. Whyte, V.A. Ezekoye, A.D. Omah, S.N. Ude, C. Ocheri, N. Ezukwoke, I.C. Ezema, I.G. Madiba, B.A. Okorie, Malik Maaza, Fabian I. Ezema (2019): Structural, Morphological and Optical Properties of Spray-Formed Silver-Doped Zinc Sulphide Thin Films. Optik – International Journal for Light and Electron Optics. 185, 519 – 528.
- Allen, M.A. and Okorie, B.A. (2019): A Study on the Leaching Kinetics of Ishiagu Galena in H2SO4 Journal of Metallurgy & Materials Engineering (JMME); 12(1), 36 – 43.
- Amalu, N.I., Okorie, B.A., Ugwuoke, J.C. and Obayi, C.S., (2021). “Electrical Conductivity of Spark Plasma Sintered W-Cu and Mo-Cu Composites for Electrical Contact Applications”, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering (JMMCE), 9, 48 – 60.
(c) Technical Reports:
- Okorie, B. A. (1987); Technical Feasibility of Growth of Flat Semiconductor Single Crystals Without Shaping Dies. Scientific Report No. CMM/RG/2, Prepared under the Auspices of the National Committee on Micro-electronic Components and Materials.
- Okorie, B. A. (1986): Some Aspects of the Mechanical Response of DSC and ASCO Rolled Steels. Preliminary Technical Report, No. ASUT/MME/86/1. Prepared for the Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON) on the Mechanical Behaviour of Nigerian-made steels.
- Okorie, B.A (1988): Metallurgical Analysis of Forcados tank-7 Fractured Annular Plate. Report Prepared for the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria, Limited, under Contract No. W. 8591.
(d). Other Conference Papers and Publications:
- Okorie B. A. (1983): Solar Energy Storage – Techniques and Materials. Paper presented at the National Solar Energy Forum (NASEF) ’83, Bida, Nigeria. April 27-30 (1983). Book of Abstracts, Paper SF. 34.
- Okorie, B. A. (1984): The Electrical Resistivity of Electroplated and Vacuum-Deposited Thin Films. Paper presented at the Seventh Annual National Conference of the Nigerian Institute of Physics; University of Nigeria, Nsukka, June 1 – 2, 1984. Book of Abstracts, page 12.
- Okorie, B. A. (1984): Prospects of Cost-efficient Manufacture of Solar Cell Material by the Ribbon and Dendritic Web Processes. Paper presented at the Fourth Annual Conference on Solar Energy, Solar Energy Society of Nigeria (SESN), Birnin-Kebbi, Sokoto State; May 23 – 26, 1984.
- Okorie, B. A. (1995): Control of Structure of Materials for Applications. 12th Inaugural Lecture, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, 17th May, 1995 (Citallo Publishers, Enugu).
- Okorie, B. A. (1996): Strategies for Formulating, Implementing, and Presenting Applied Research Projects. Paper presented at the NBTE Zonal Workshop on Enhancing Research Activities in the Polytechnics and Monotechnics” held at the IMT, Enugu, Nigeria, December 4 – 5, 1996.
- Ejiofor J. U., Okorie B.A. and Reddy R. G. (1997): Studies on Sintered Zircon-Reinforced Aluminum Alloy Matrix Composites. Presented at the TMS Annual Meeting and Exhibition, Orlando, Florida, February 9 – 13, 1997.
- Ejiofor J.U., Reddy R.G., and Okorie B.A. (1997): Synthesis and Properties Evaluation of Char-Reinforced A1-Si Alloy Composites. Ibid, Orlando, Florida, February 9 – 13, 1997.
- Okorie B. A., (1999): Engineering Design as a Means of Corrosion Control. Paper presented at the Annual seminar of the Nigerian Corrosion Association (NICA), Eastern Zonal Chapter, Enugu, Nigeria, October 9, 1999).
- Okorie, B. A. (2003): Analysis of Failure of Engineering Components and Structures, Paper presented at the 2nd Quarterly meeting of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Enugu Chapter, June 12, 2003.
- U. Odo and B.A. Okorie (2001): Eha-Alumona Clay- An Indigenous Raw Material for Refractory Industries. Proceedings of the Conference on New Products and Technologies for Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SME), Benin City, Nigeria; pp. 140-141.
- A. Okorie (2008): Materials Technology for Economic Empowerment and National Development. Keynote Address Delivered at the Annual Nigerian Materials Congress, NIMACON 2008; Theme: Materials Development and the Vision 20-2020; EMDI, Akure, Nigeria, Nov. 3-8, 2008.
- A Okorie (2011): Strategies for fostering sustainable Growth of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Practice in Nigeria. Plenary Paper presented at the Nigerian Metallurgical Society 27th Annual Conference held at the RMRDC, Abuja, 26-29th Oct. 2011.
OTHER CREATIVE WORKS:
Engineering Design and Development
- Design of cupola for production of ferrous (cast-iron) castings. Collaborative project: Projects Development Agency, Enugu (1971).
- Design and full development of heavy duty brick extruding machine; Project Development Agency, Enugu (1971)
- Design and construction of manually-operated brick cutter. PRODA, Enugu, (1971).
- Design and development of straight-blade and forward-curved blade air blowers: PRODA, Enugu (1972).
- Design and development of sliding vane type rotary blower. PRODA, Enugu (1972).
- Design and development of (Bread) Baking Oven: Collaborative project; PRODA, Enugu (1972).
- Design and full development of Garri-frying machine and auxiliaries including Cassava Peeler: Collaborative project; PRODA, Enugu (1972).
- Design and development of low-noise vibrator for mechanical sieving of grated cassava: PRODA, Enugu (1973).
- Design and development of Mechanical Jack: PRODA, Enugu (1973)
- Design of Palm Kernel Crusher/Oil Extractor: Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH), Enugu, (1986).
- Development of Sintered Copper-graphite Brush for use in automobile kickstarters: ASUTECH), Enugu, (1986).
- Design, fabrication and testing of a Metallurgical Heat-treatment (Muffle) Furnace. (ASUTECH), Enugu, (1988). In collaboration with Okoye F.N., Agugoesi K. and Nwadimpa T.
- Design, development and testing of an electric arc melting furnace. (ASUTECH0, Enugu, (1988). In Collaboration with Okoye F.N., Nwosu M. and Okeke S.I.
- Design and fabrication of a gas-fired laboratory melting furnace. (ASUTECH), Enugu, (1990). In collaboration with Okafor A.N and Own N.
- Design and development of pneumatically operated clamp and tilting ramp for pressurized cylinder hydrostatic test stations. (Tecstar/ESUT, Enugu, 1996).