PHILOSOPHY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS EDUCATION
The Department of Business Education was established in 1999. The Philosophy of the department is derived from the National Policy on Education (NPE).
The department of Business Education is therefore expected to enhance the development of the following goals among others:
1. The inculcation of the right type of values and attitudes for the survival of the individual and the Nigerian Society.
2. The training of the mind in the understanding of the world around.
3. The acquisition of the appropriate skills, abilities and competencies the both mentally and physically, designed to equip the student so as to contribute in the development of the society.
4. The inculcation of national consciousness and national unity in the individual
5. Respect for dignity of labour and promotion of emotional, physical and psychological health of all children.
Section A sub-section 65 of the NPE (National Policy on Education) 1977
(Revised 1981) on teacher Education directs that the NCE and degree level teachers Education programmes will be expanded to cater for the requirements of Business Education in Nigeria. Department of Business Education shelters two academic programmers.
The department of Business Education will in furtherance of this directive and of related objectives of the NPE offer at the moment the following degree options in business education
(1) B.SC (Ed) Accounting
(2) B.SC (Ed) Commerce and Cooperative etc.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Specifically, the department aims at:
1. Providing graduate teachers to teach business education courses at secondary school level.
2. Inculcating self-reliance in the graduates, which will enable them to set up and operate their own business schools.
3. Researching into and introducing innovative ideas in the teaching of business subjects in the schools.
4. Providing Opportunities for serving teachers to improve and update their professional competence.
5. Performing educational service functions for the national educational system.
6. Enhancing teacher commitment to teaching profession.
7. Helping business teachers to fit into the social life of the community and society at large and enhancing their commitment to national objectives.
8. Furthering the spirit of acquisition and creativity in teachers.
TITLE OF THE DEGREE
The department awards the degree of B.Sc (Ed) in Business Education (Accounting/ Commerce and Cooperative) option. A student shall be required to pass 120 credit units to end the degree of Bachelor of Science in business education:
The degree is classified as follows:
1. First class (Hons) with CGPA of 4.5 – 5.00.
2. Second class upper with CGPA of 3.5 -4.49.
3. Second class lower with CGPA of 2.5 – 3.49.
4. Third class with CGPA of 2.0 – 2.49.
5. A pass degree without (Hons) with CGPA of 1.0 -1.99.
The degree is awarded both in character, learning and having satisfied the university minimum academic requirements for admission.
The University general admission requirements for a four year degree programme are five credits in the senior secondary school certificate (SSCE) obtained in not more than two sittings in addition to an acceptable pass in the joint admission and matriculation board (JAMB) examination. This condition obtains for admission into any of the programmes in the faculty of education but the candidate must obtain credit pass in the SSCE on the approved subjects being offered in addition to a credit in English Language and Mathematics at the SSCE.
DIRECT ENTRY CANDIDATES
1. A Pass at merit level in a relevant diploma or NCE (Nigeria Certificate in Education) provided the candidate satisfies the university English or Mathematics requirements is admissible or at least two passes in relevant subject area at advanced level with SSCE/GCE O/L and other approved equivalent at not more than two sittings.
2. Passes in two relevant/major subjects in the NCE with SSCE/GCE O/level credit passes or the equivalent in three other subjects.
In addition candidates for B.Sc Business Education as well as OND, ACE and other advanced certificates in business related areas are qualified for admission provided they possess acceptable qualifications in relevant subjects at the SSCE or its equivalent.